Long Weekend away to Picos de Europa National Park, Asturias
Capital Walkers most ambitious long weekend away yet:
Plans for the trip (early booking advised for this June trip to Northern Spain to get cheapest flights – note that there are nominated flights outward and return www.ryanair.com – see below)
Everyone gathers on a Ryanair flight FR 2612 18.45pm from London Stansted to Santander (arrives21:45 local time) on Thursday 8 June to a waiting bus which will take us to Llanes where we will be based.
Llanes is a beautiful coastal town part of the Costa Verde (Green Coast) of Spain, bounded to the south bythe high ridge of the limestone Sierra del Cuera (1,100m), and it is to the North of Picos de Europa. Llanes, our base, is a traditional fishing port, with an active harbour and is part of the Camino de Santiago northern way (see more at the links below).
We will be walking in the Picos de Europa National Park. UNESCO approved its Biosphere Reserve Status in 2003. The highest point is 2,648m (8,690ft) with multiple peaks averaging 2,000+ m. The landscape is spectacular with gorges, glacial lakes, forests and valleys.
The plan is (for now) 3 full days of walking exploring the wild landscapes of the Western, Eastern massifs and a walk along the Cares Gorge path.
The walks will be led by local fully qualified leaders. The length averages 10 -12km but this is not a great guide as some of the walks can be a challenge.
We intend to limit the ascent / descent to 500 – 600 m. so that as many people as possible can join but a reasonable level of fitness is required, and please ensure you have walking boots and other suitable clothing.
See more information on the area below:
Thursday 8/6: late Ryanair flight (see above) to Santander to a waiting bus which will take us to our accommodation in Llanes, we will be given maps and information and make arrangements for the following day.
Friday 9/6: Full day walking (see above for details of area. We will be providing more detailed information to those interested closer to the time)
Saturday 10/6: Full day walking
Sunday 11/6: Day off
Monday 12/6: Full day walking
Tuesday 13/6: Alternatives; Day off / coastal walk / Canoeing trip down Sella river (10km, 3hrs 25 euros per person) & return to London Ryanair flight FR2613 22.10pm from Santander arrives London Stansted at (1hr less in London).
This is a rough guide and will dependent on the group, weather and advice from the walk leaders.
- Accommodation and travel
FR 2612 18.45pm London Stansted to Santander (arrives 21:45 local time) on Thursday 8 June
FR 2613 Tuesday 13 June 22:10 - 23:05 (Santander to London Stansted)
You are responsible for booking your own flight, at today’s rates the return to Santander 8 – 13 June 2017 is £ 77.98 (hand luggage allowance of 10kg)
Please note: There are no daily flights, and only one flight on the days it flies i.e. it is advisable to book soon. Please also note the prices with Ryanair also vary depending on when you book.
The different accommodation choices are at today’s rates:
- 2 twin/ double- rooms sharing a bathroom. Cost: 375 euros per person (£314)
- 2 singles sharing a bathroom. Cost: 385 euros per person (£322.45)
- Single room. Cost: 425 euros (£355.95)
What is included in the price.
· Transfer to and from Santander airport to Llanes
· Transfer from Llanes to the start of the walks on mini buses.
· Accommodation (see above for details).
· Fully qualified leaders (the local company putting this together for us is Rumbo a Picos).
· Packed lunch on the three days of walking
· 5 breakfasts.
· Insurance and taxes & VAT (People are advised to have their own travel insurance as well)
What is not included in the price
· Ryanair flight – there is no daily flight, and only 1 on the days it flies – i.e it is important to book if interested as soon as possible.
· Dinner - There are lots of restaurants, and sidrerias serving the most delicious specialities. It depends on the type of restaurant and courses eaten etc. but an average price can be 15-20 euros per person.
We will be happy to organise a dinner or two for the group).
How to sign up
We would need to limit numbers to around 30 people due to logistics, capacity of minibuses, nature of walking etc. so let us know as soon as you can.
• your name and contact 'phone number
• your Ramblers membership number
• your flight reference number.
• Please also specify your accommodation choice (twin, single, double) so she can make arrangements with Rumbo a Picos the local company (tried and tested by Ana) organising the package (The cost covers everything i.e. 5 nights accommodation, 3 walks, transfers, guide.quoted except the flights and misc meals and the alternative day) – Ana will also advise on payment arrangements for the non-flight part of the package and clarify any trip details.
Payment for the non-flight part of the package will be at the Spanish end – Ana can advise of payment methods for what is in the non-flight package and also of other costs to allow for (e.g. evening meals in the vicinity).